They say life is about simple pleasures – everyday things which we are wont to make light of – which taken together serve to generate an ambience of normalcy around us. Each week, I will attempt to identify one simple thing I have grown to delight in… from my otherwise uninteresting life.
When the subject of music, and my taste with regards to it comes up, I always declare unequivocally that my taste is eccletic. In the past week for instance, I have listened to Eminem, Donnie McClurkin, the Backstreet Boys, Kenny G and today Heather Headley.
I find though, that male/female duets do my head in in ways I do not understood. Perhaps it was stumbling onto Brave New World on Father’s monochrome National television (now of blessed memory) that etched this appreciation of duets onto my heart. I suspect that some of the delight I derive from these songs is also dependent on the lyrics – most of the time they are focused on love, on faith and the other noble emotions we as humans feel – as well as the harmony from the well blended voices.
Over the years, I have grown to enjoy quite a few of them – In no particular order, these include:
- I am your angel – Celine Dion/R. Kelly from the Titanic soundtrack.
- The Prayer – Andrea Bocelli/Heather Headley
- Love will find a way – Heather Headley/ Kenny Latimore from the Lion King II soundtrack
- When you believe – Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston from the Prince of Egypt soundtrack (Not male/female but a good duet IMO nonetheless)
- I know him so well – Elaine Page/Barbabra Dickson